The countdown has started and as all my fellow food bloggers present fabulous recipes for an epic Thanksgiving food-fest we decided to focus on the thing that makes a thanksgiving table look spectacular: side dishes! And when Dishtales serves a side dish it will never be a plain old mash or some stir-fried veggies. Nah, we love remixing classic dishes and using classic produce to create some sexy cuisine to share with your family for Thanksgiving. As Thanksgiving seems to be the starting point of ignoring the gym and having a leap month of eating loads and loads of carbs, we’re ignoring healthy eating rules as much as possible. Well…actually…not exactly! When you eat great dishes, great products are usually a significant part of them. Great products equal fantastic, healthy and good looking food. So yeah, I guess we’re not ignoring healthy eating rules at all! 🙂 A classic Thanksgiving dinner table consists of a protein centerpiece. Now you can decide on whatever the heck you want to serve (as long as you don’t go cliché with a stuffed turkey …promise? 🙂 ). Today we’re presenting our recipe for a slightly different version (read: remix!) of a classic Sweet Potato Salad.
What makes this salad a remixed version of a classic Sweet Potato Salad? Well, for starters it’s not some mashed chunk of butter and spices, but a vitamin fueled, healthy and almost vegan (skip the feta cheese, add salt my dear vegans!) side dish. Also, look at those beautiful produce colors that blend into this sexy looking salad. I bet you’ll make a great impression at any bring-a-dish Thanksgiving dinner party! 🙂 Anyway, I’ll show some more pictures first and as always, scroll down for the Printable Recipe and to leave your comments. Do you guys like this dish? Let me know how it turned out and…HAPPY ROAD TO THANKSGIVING 2014!
- Serving 6
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 hands full of cherry tomatoes
- 3 red onions
- a hand full of chives
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 200 gr feta cheese
- fresh spinach leafs (as much as you prefer; I used 3 full hands of fresh spinach leafs)
- salt & pepper
- olive oil (or any other oil you like to use)
- ingredients for the vinaigrette: 6 tsp olive oil, 3 tsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Cook the sweet potatoes over medium heat for about 15/20 minutes (or until cooked, yet firm enough to fry).
- Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the drained sweet potatoes and chopped (into thin rings) red onions with 2 tsp turmeric. Fry for about 5 minutes over medium/high heat. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the spinach leafs and chives finely and place into a large bowl. Also, cut the cherry tomatoes into halves (or smaller as you wish) and add to the bowl.
- Stir all ingredients for the vinaigrette separately and add the well stirred vinaigrette into the veggie bowl.Stir well.
- Now add your (almost completely) cooled sweet potato mixture to the veggie bowl, add crumbled feta cheese and stir well.
- Now grab your finest dishware and present this Sweet Potato Salad Remix at your lovely Thanksgiving table. Enjoy!