Thanksgiving tables are set, family arrives one by one, everyone is holding a hot cup of chocolate milk (and marshmallow dip!) in their hands, while last minute dishes are being prepared in the kitchen. As the Dishtales headquarters is located in Amsterdam, we do not traditionally celebrate Thanksgiving. Nevertheless, we love, love, LOVE this holiday. All those dishes and just the mere fact of coming together and enjoying a night of great food, love, thankfulness and each others company. We really should make this a Dutch holiday tradition as well! 🙂 Last year I decided to just go ahead and organize a Thanksgiving dinner with friends. Everyone was asked to bring a dish, their favorite or even signature dish. Considering that my blog didn’t exist yet, there wasn’t a platform for me to display all the beautiful, delicious dishes my friends made. Luckily I am now able to present these beautiful dishes on the blog, for you all to enjoy. Inspiration leads to the creation of some sexy looking, tasty and very festive meals…like these Puff Pastry Sesame Snacks.
Although there’s no process pictures needed, I did make this dish to show you how incredibly cute and delicious these bite sized snacks look. On top of that this might be the easiest snack to make. So in case you don’t know what dish to bring to that lovely bring-a-dish-Thanksgiving-dinner-party tonight, this dish is just a hop, skip and a 20 minute (oven) cooking time away!
Whether you’ll make these lovely snacks or took that brave step to bring a beautiful stuffed turkey dish, I hope you’ll have a beautiful, memorable and loving evening with your loved ones. A bottle of Chateau is opened here as I type my final words: Happy Thanksgiving my dearest readers and Thank You for your dedication. It keeps me going everyday and excites me to keep sharing beautiful food with you all here on Dishtales.com!
- For 8 bite sized puff pastry snacks
- 4 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 avocado
- 100 gr smoked salmon (thin slices)
- 100 gr brie cheese
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F
- Beat up the egg and put aside. Cut each sheet of puff pastry in 4 equal, square parts. Lightly brush the puff pastry with the beaten egg, put the puff pastry squares on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (or until baked halfway)
- Gently mash the ripe avocado in a bowl and whisk it a little if necessary. You're supposed to create a pulpy mousse out of it. Sprinkle some lime juice, salt & pepper into the mousse and set aside.
- At this point you should open the oven and gently sprinkle some sesame seeds over the halfway baked puff pastry squares (one side). Let them bake for another 5/10 minutes or until colored beautifully golden.
- Meanwhile, cut the brie cheese and salmon into thin, small pieces and set aside.
- Take the puff pastry squares out of the oven, let them cool a bit and start decorating! A little brie cheese covered with some salmon and a tiny scoop of avocado mouse on one square and cover it with another square. Serve directly and don't feel bad if they fall apart...these sexy devils are incredibly tasty and your guests are bound to lick their fingers! 🙂
These little pastries look awesome! Definitely can see myself making the recipe in the upcoming entertaining season.